Hello Deaf Coloradans!
The Colorado Association of the Deaf is proudly providing community education/awareness — come and learn what resources are available out there. Attached is the opportunity to learn more about your rights with Fair Housing Act. If you or know someone who have experienced housing discrimination, please do share the flyer!
How do you know if you have been the victim of illegal housing discrimination? Housing discrimination comes in many forms and is often subtle. Some signs of possible discrimination include:
- A refusal to sell, rent,or show available housing
- Requiring different terms and conditions for identical dwellings, i.e. charging higher rent, security deposit for different tenants
- Being told that the dwelling isn’t right for you or your family
- Being told that housing isn’t available in an apartment with a “For Rent” sign
- Housing advertisements that say “no kids” or “adults only”
- A refusal to make a reasonable accommodation or allow a modification to make the dwelling accessible for a person with a disability
- Harassment or intimidation
- Offering non-standard and unfavorable terms in the purchase of a home or property insurance
- Terms of availability that change between a phone contact and an in-person visit
- Being steered to racially segregated neighborhoods during your home search
- Excessive or inappropriate questioning upon requesting information about a dwelling Reference: http://www.
nationalfairhousing.org/ KnowYourRights/tabid/4179/ Default.aspx
See Flyer: Fair Housing Kitchen Talk
We hope to see you there!