Highlights of CAD’s past legislative involvements
Legal Interpreting/Auxiliary Services Act (2006)
Recognition of ASL for College/HS credits (2003)
Telephone Equipment Distribution Program (2002)
Colorado Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (2000)
Colorado Deaf Child’s Bill of Rights (1996)
Telephone Disabled Users Fund (1989)
1996: The Colorado Association of the Deaf (CAD) implemented a core committee, the Magnet School of the Deaf, now called the Rocky Mountain Deaf School (RMDS). The core committee has a spin off to a non profit organization focusing on Deaf education (Laurent Clerc Educational Fund of Colorado). RMDS is a public charter school with the oversight of the LCEFC board serving the deaf children in ASL/English education.
1992: The CAD hosted the National Association of the Deaf conference in Denver.
1990 The CAD formed the CSDB Alumni Association
1970: The CAD instrumental in establishing the Colorado Advisory Council serving the Deaf (CACSD) comprised of 21 organizations of, for, and by the deaf in Colorado. CACSD established the Charles B Avery Memorial Scholarship Fund. (It later became the Center on Deafness in 1980)
1949: The CAD received its first 501c3 classification from the IRS
1904: The CAD founded by the alumni of the Colorado School for the Deaf (and the Blind) in Colorado Springs “to promote the advancement of [the] social, intellectual, and moral status of the Deaf. George W. Veditz was the first president while he was serving as the 7th president of the National Association of the Deaf (NAD).